Air assistance

Help offered by the CAC of Jefferson County | News, Sports, Jobs

STEUBENVILLE — The HEAP department of the Jefferson County Community Action Council will continue to assist residents with the Summer Crisis program, Income-Percent Payment Plan enrollments and rechecks, and HEAP status.

The summer crisis program will continue until September 30.

Currently, the Jefferson County CAC takes appointments on its toll-free number — 740-996-9061 — or appointments can be made online at

The system will guide clients through the appointment booking process, review the required documents to bring to the appointment, as well as provide a confirmation number to bring to the appointment when booking. check in with the receptionist. The automated system will send a reminder of the date and time of the appointment by call and/or SMS.

Walk-ins will not be accepted.

Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the CAC Administrative Office, 114 N. Fourth St., Steubenville. If someone is representing a client, that person must provide power of attorney documents or a notarized statement of authorization to process the request. Residents can still apply online at or file a paper application with the local agency.

The Summer Crisis Program assists low-income households with a household member 60 years of age or older, a household member with a documented medical condition verified by a licensed medical professional, a PIPP default, the first PIPP payment and/or a household’s electric utility has a notice of disconnection, has been cut off, or new electric service is being established for the household. These households may also receive an air conditioning unit and/or fan(s).

The documentation that will be required to complete a file is proof of income for all household members aged 18 or over from the day of your appointment 30 days back: payslips, social security, SSI, SSDI , award letters or bank statements, OWF / TANF check, alimony, child support, unemployment, workers compensation, pensions and utility allowances. Households below 30% of the federal poverty guidelines may be required to provide more documentation. If household income documentation for 30 days does not reflect the previous 12 months, you will need to bring 12 months of income documentation.

For self-employment, you will need to bring your most recent IRS 1040, which includes Schedule 1. Legible social security cards and proof of citizenship for all household members, utility bills and/or information on the supplier (bulk fuel) are required.

Persons declaring zero income must provide a notarized statement from all persons providing financial assistance showing the date, their name, address, telephone number and signature from the date of your arrival 13 months back. This should be itemized with dates and each cash amount given or paid directly to you for your monthly bills and personal expenses. If invoices are paid directly to creditor, proof of void check and/or receipts are required for the previous 13 months. Households are accountable for how they pay their rent and/or mortgage/property taxes, utility bills, water, sewer, garbage, and personal expenses. Along with this, a statement from the Department of Employment and Family Services showing everyone in the household is required at the time of the appointment.

Anyone 18 or older in the household with no income must provide proof of schooling if attending.

An IRS tax transcript will be required if a household reports no income for one or more years. To request a copy, call 800-908-9946.

To obtain a complete Customer Requirement Form, contact the county CAC. If the household has no income, contact the local agency and speak directly with an intake agent.

Applications will not be processed without the necessary documentation.

Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox