by: Sahara Sriraman
HANOVER COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) – Hanover County today announced that “Cooling Assistance” will be offered to eligible households on a first-come, first-served basis.
Assistance is offered through the Virginia Department of Social Services Energy Assistance Program and will continue through August 15, 2022 or until the money runs out.
Cooling assistance is intended to help people with the costs of keeping their homes cool during high summer temperatures.
This assistance will cover costs, including:
- Electric bills up to $600 for cooling equipment
- Air conditioning or heat pump repair
- Security deposits for electricity for cooling equipment
- Whole-house fans, including ceiling or attic fans
- Purchase and installation of a window air conditioning unit for households that do not have a unit or have one that needs to be replaced
Eligible households must have at least one:
- Person at risk aged 60 or over
- Disabled person
- Child under six
“It’s likely going to be hot and humid this summer and that weather can be very dangerous for the elderly and disabled as well as children,” said Sheila Crossen-Powell, director of social services for Hanover County.
Eligible households may receive more than one type of assistance. Approved applicants can get a maximum of $600.
Financial eligibility is based on income and applicants must provide proof of income for all household members.
Applications can be completed online at www.commonhelp.virginia.gov or by calling 1-855-635-4370. Paper applications can be accessed via http://dss.virginia.gov/benefit/ea/index.cgi or at the Hannover Department of Social Services.